Sunday, July 13, 2014

Book Review: Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Before I get started with my review, a basic introduction: Dark Star is the first book in the Dark Star trilogy. The second book came out in Feb of this year and the final book will be released sometime next year. 

           I looked at other reviews of this book on Goodreads and a lot of people didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I did, but I think that this novel is underrated. It is fast-paced and mysterious, which really captivated my attention right the second I started reading. It was very interesting and I didn't have any major problems with it. 
          There are so many wonderful things about this book. The writing is very easy to follow. Mystery is a huge aspect, which kept the book thrilling, and it's very well developed. The plot twists are unexpected and surprising (at least for me:P), but they all made sense. The solutions to mysteries should be logical with no loopholes and Bethany Frenette did a great job at that. While this is considered a superhero book, it really isn't a stereotypical superhero book. There aren't superheroes running around the city in capes, trying to fight of murderers and save everyone in distress. Magic and powers play a big role in the novel, but there are also demons and a fantasy world. 
          I liked that there is a very realistic edge to this novel, as realistic as a paranormal fantasy book can be:P. The characters are believable with their own unique personalities. Audrey, the main character is stubborn, curious, persistent, caring, smart, and also a bit stupid at times. The romance between Audrey and Leon is funny, adorable, and I love them together, but I'm not REALLY invested in their relationship. This is because I feel that I don't fully understand Leon as a person, and I want to be able to (like I did with my favorite characters in my favorite books). 
         As much as I love this book, I feel that it lacks some little things that I like in a good book. I think the author could've made the writing more sophisticated and beautiful. The beginning dragged a little bit. The ending is nice and climatic, but there wasn't a cliffhanger and I wasn't left with a feeling of wanting more. Of course I'm definitely going to read the rest of this trilogy and I'm very excited to, but I'm not as excited as after I read Divergent or Rebel Belle. Speaking of Rebel Belle, I feel like it is a good comparison to this Dark Star. They are both fantasy and paranormal with some mystery and romance, but I think Rachel Hawkins did a better job at creating the character relationship in Rebel Belle with Harper and David than Bethany Frenette did with Audrey and Leon. However, overall I would definitely recommend Dark Star to anyone who likes paranormal books. It was unique, fast-paced, fun, and very interesting. I have high hopes for the second book because I think that it will be better than this first one! 

My shortened book review on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/870990702

No comments:

Post a Comment