Saturday, August 9, 2014

Book Talk: The Things They Carried & The Murder Complex

Hello everyone! I've recently read two books and I just want to share my quick thoughts on both of them in this Book Talk, so these reviews will be short compared to my specific Book Review posts. Anyways, let's start off the first book,
           I had to read this book for my AP Literature class (summer reading assignment), and surprisingly, it wasn't bad! There were some parts, like the beginning, that were boring, but the story really picked up after that. I loved reading about Tim's war experiences, which were so interesting. It was a unique perspective on the Vietnam War. I loved learning about all the different characters and analyzing the symbolism.
       
Next, 
        I felt that this book was overhyped. It was just okay. Despite how big of a book it may look, it was a very quick read, so I don't regret reading it since it didn't take too much time. The Murder Complex was full of action, blood, and guts, which was cool, but the relationships lacked substance. The character developments should have been better. There was so much insta-love and I felt like the characters didn't even know each other well enough before starting to date. I couldn't connect to any of the characters. When I first started reading, there were so many strange terms, which really confused me. I got used to them afterwards, but I wish the author did a better job at explaining the world in the beginning of the novel. The plot twists felt forced and sometimes illogical. The ending was full of action, but there wasn't much emotion. The ending tried to be a cliffhanger, but failed because I don't feel a strong urge to read the next book in this series.

Those are my quick thoughts about these two books that I've read. Talk to you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. :) Well-thought through reviews.

    ReplyDelete