Saturday, August 23, 2014

Movie Review- If I Stay

Hey! A couple months ago, I stumbled upon the If I Stay trailer and I was immediately captivated. After watching it (and tearing up) over and over again, I decided to read the books from the library and they were emotional and beautifully written. I was able to watch the If I Stay movie today, one day after its release, and here are my thoughts!(:
*NOTE: SPOILERS AHEAD!*
Basic premise of the story:
Mia, the main character played by Chloe Grace Moretz, is a devoted cello player, who has large hopes and dreams to pursue a music career. Her love interest, Adam, played by Jamie Blackley, is also a musician, except he plays in his own rock band. One snowy day, Mia and her family are driving in a car, when they get into a severe car accident. Mia ends up in a coma and has an out-of-body experience.

I will start off with what I enjoyed about the movie. The cast is great; I definitely can't imagine anyone else as Mia and Adam. Mia is a very shy, introverted girl and Chloe portrayed her very well. Jamie is an awesome actor (can we please just take a moment to admire his smile?), and when I watching, I completely forgot that he has a British accent in real life. The ending monologue with him talking to Mia was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. It was one of the most emotional parts for me in the book and I'm so glad it was adapted well. There were numerous kissing scenes, and I'm a sucker for cute romances, so that was fantabulous. Music plays a big role in If I Stay and I loooovveeeed the soundtrack of the movie! (Click here if you want to listen to it)

Now onto some of things that I wished the movie could've done better on.
I strongly believe that you should read the book duology before watching the movie because those who haven't read the books will be confused, especially during the flashbacks. Speaking of flashbacks, the transitions between the past and future were choppy and confusing. And to add on, Kim, Mia's best friend, didn't seem needed in the movie, while book Kim was an important character.

I felt like the director/producers/movie people tried to create more of a romantic conflict and drama,while in the book, the major "conflict" was Mia deciding whether or not to keep living without her parents or just dying. I enjoyed the ending with Adam, but Mia's dialogue made it seem like it was Adam's choice, not hers, to wake up from the coma.The book is focused on the strength of love through friendships, relationships, and music, all of which should've been emphasized more in the movie. That would've made it more emotional. (I teared up when reading the book, but not as much when watching the movie)

If I Stay was not a super-wonderful-I'm-going-to-watch-this-again-and-again movie, but it was still pretty great! I was disappointed because I had very high expectations going into this, but overall, I'm very happy that I spent the time and money to watch it.

RATING: 80%; 4 out of 5 stars

And because I love pictures, here's a collage of the cast of If I Stay on set!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your review! It's very well thought out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Honest and thought through. I am still very encouraged to go watch it! :)

    ReplyDelete