Friday, February 20, 2015

Cooking Up a Storm!

If you've read my New Years Resolutions blog post, you know that one of my goals for this year is to cook and bake more. For the past two weeks, I've been "cooking up a storm" (shoutout to my friend for that phrase:) ), and I'm here today to show you some of the things I've made. This post will consist of all the things I've cooked recently. Overall, I think messing around in the kitchen is extremely therapeutic and fun at the same time. I like to play some music on my iPod speaker and dance around while I'm mixing ingredients together. (Also, I apologize beforehand for the slightly yellow-tinted photos. The yellow light in my kitchen and dining area provides a more home-y, warm feeling, but not necessarily the best lighting for pictures:P)

First off, my cooking spree started with these deliciously healthy stuffed red bell peppers.
The stuffing consists of tomato sauce, rice, ground beef, peas, corn, mushrooms, and of course, looootss of cheese! I've never been a big fan of bell peppers, but this way of eating them tasted much better than I've ever had them before. I will definitely be recreating this dish in the future.

Next, this is spaghetti squash! I discovered a bunch of spaghetti squash recipes on Pinterest and felt really inspired to try out this unique vegetable.
Overall, I thought it was quite easy to make. The only important step is in the beginning: puncture approximately 10 large slits into a raw spaghetti squash, microwave for 3-5 minutes, and the squash will be extremely easy to cut open. The sauce/filling can consist of whatever you liked, but I used ground beef, mushrooms, peas, corn, a little dash of tomato sauce, and lots of cheese. The texture was different from anything I've had before, but it was very filling and tasty. The pictures shown are of one squash cut in half. There were a lot of leftovers for the following day.

Thirdly, one random night I wanted to whip up something quick as a side dish for dinner. So I discovered a cheese dip recipe and put my own twist on it. It was absolutely delicious and so quick to whip up.
This was a combination of cheese (parmesan and cheddar), broccoli, sour cream, and alfredo sauce. We ate this with toasted bread and the dish was scraped clean within minutes. If this sounds like something you would like to try out, you can always add grilled chicken strips to make this appetizer more hearty. 

Lastly, I created something inspired by a taco and it was a success. These are egg roll wrapper cups filled with ground beef, onion, corn, peas, cheese, and garnished with a little sprinkle of parsley. 
It would say it's a fusion between Mexican and Asian cuisine because I used egg roll wrappers. But of course, you could switch them out for tortillas, dough, or anything else you like. We ended up eating them with some sour cream and guacamole. I think the thing I loved the most about this dish was the texture of the crispy, crunchy outer wrapper to the chewy inside filling. 

P.S. I also made a chicken pesto panini for a couple lunches, but they didn't turn out looking too well (tasted realllly good) so I didn't end up taking any pictures. Also for you bell pepper lovers (I'm starting to become one), I will be sharing a very simple recipe that I like to make very soon :) I'm really excited that I have a little more time this semester to cook and I hope to be writing more posts about that soon!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The photos are beautiful. The food looks so delicious. This is a wonderful post, hands down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy! I'll definitely be trying them out.:)

    ReplyDelete