Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Here's the synopsis of the novel from Goodreads:
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

I really wanted to love this and it was extremely enjoyable and entertaining, but it wasn’t as good as other books I’ve been reading recently. If you didn’t know, A Court of Thorns and Roses is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, so it was fascinating to see how the concepts of the fairytale tied into the fantasy plot. The writing is easy to follow and quick to read. I wish there were more specific details when Maas described certain settings because while I could visualize scenes in my head, there were certain small details that I felt were missing.
Overall, there was a diverse character cast: Feyre is a caring and courageous leading woman in the story and I appreciated reading about her determination through hard events in her life. However, I didn’t like how she would sometimes make decisions that people had previously warned her against. Tamlin is a fascinating character, and I kind of wish that there were chapters written in his perspective to get a stronger hold on his emotions. There’s also Lucien (who reminds me of Kenji from Shatter Me because they’re both awesome, but different at the same time) and Rhys (interesting is a good word to describe him and the choices he makes).
The last 100 pages was full of action, which wrapped everything up nicely. I’m absolutely terrible at riddles (I’ve never been able to solve one on my own without hints), but I was able to successfully guess a huge part of the ending. It was a slight disappointment. There was a slight cliffhanger at the end, but not a huge one. Now onto some of my rambly thoughts towards the possibility of a love triangle in the next book- I REALLY hope there isn’t one because then everything that happened in this book would seem like a complete waste of time/effort. Romance drama in the next book would just make me feel sad. To think that the two main characters went through so much for the love interest to change...that would definitely change my positive feelings towards the characters and these books in general. In that sense, I kind of wish that this was a standalone novel, so I can get immediate closure. I wonder if this series will turn out like the Lunar Chronicles with different fairytale retellings in each novel. It would be cool to see them featuring more than one character’s point of view and include new characters/romance plot lines (but NOT for the two main characters).

A shortened version of my thoughts: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1138866628

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people really love this book so it was interesting to see your take on it:)

    ReplyDelete