Thursday, July 16, 2015

Book Review: Dream A Little Dream by Kerstin Grier

Actual rating: 3.75 stars
Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:
Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yes, Liv's dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially the one where she's in a graveyard at night, watching four boys conduct dark magic rituals.
The strangest part is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They're classmates from her new school in London, the school where she's starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But what's really scaring Liv is that the dream boys seem to know things about her in real life, things they couldn't possibly know--unless they actually arein her dreams? Luckily, Liv never could resist a good mystery, and all four of those boys are pretty cute...

Dream A Little Dream was a fun and fast paced read. I was looking for something light and this was definitely it. As a part-time lucid dreamer, I found the plot original and very interesting. In a tiny way, it reminded me of The Archived by Victoria Schwab. The main character, Liv, is smart and loves a good mystery to solve, but she irritated me at times. She would constantly describe her appearance (“My dark-blue shirt had a low neckline, and the new jeans that I’d bought fitted perfectly. I was also wearing lip gloss, mascara, Mom’s concealer…”) and the appearance of others, specifically the four main boys. She has an annoying habit of agreeing to do things without really thinking about how it might affect the people around her. While I felt the book was a little immature for my taste at times, since the main character is only 15 (soon 16) years old, but it was entertaining to read.
At first I thought this was going to be some sort of a love pentagon (with four boys), but the romance was simple, so I liked that. Interesting turn of events towards the end of the book, but it didn’t fully make sense to me. So far this trilogy is less complex compared to Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red trilogy, but I have a feeling that the second and third book will dig deeper into some of the characters' pasts, where some problems between relationships may possibly rise. That should be interesting!
Side note: I really like the cover and the metallic silver theme. Also, Liv’s mom is embarrassing and irritating.

A shortened version of my thoughts: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1138992657

1 comment:

  1. Nice review:) I totally feel ya on those kind of characters

    ReplyDelete