Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Actual rating: 4.25 stars
Here's the synopsis of the novel from Goodreads:
      CATH IS A SIMON SNOW FAN. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan... But for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.
      Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fanfiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. 
      Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to. 
      Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath that she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend; a fiction-writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world; a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words...and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone
      For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


When I first started reading this book, it was 9 months ago in September. I had begun reading, stopped, and then finished reading it all in one day during this month (and I’m so glad I did). The beginning of Fangirl was extremely slow for me because I couldn’t relate to Cath, which I really like to do with a book’s main character; she frustrated me with her ceaseless dislike for change. However, I really enjoyed the second half of the novel because that’s where she started developing as an individual. It was wonderful seeing her interact with different people, her dad, Wren, Reagan, Levi, and Laura, in various situations. She became more realistic as a multidimensional character, someone who is a home-body and anxious for the future, but also caring and willing to do anything for the ones she loves. The romance was super adorable and sweet, as I had expected. Levi was supportive, cheerful, and sweet all the time, but it just seemed like that one side of him was the only side. It would be fascinating to see Cath meet his family and visit the farm to see a different side of his character to make him more realistic. Also, further plot regarding Laura would be really interesting. She was mentioned continuously throughout the novel, but there was no further development with that plot line. Additionally, I would appreciate an epilogue for the romance because I love the relationship so much (and that would’ve provided more closure than the actual ending of the novel). Overall, I’m pleased to say that I ended up liking Fangirl much more than I had expected when I first picked this book up. Rainbow Rowell’s writing and characters grew on me and I’m so glad that I decided to pick this back up this summer.

A shortened version of my thoughts on this book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1052451377

1 comment:

  1. Really great review! I agree about Levi, he was such a sweet character but very 2-D, but I'm glad to see you liked the book overall. :)

    ReplyDelete