Saturday, January 2, 2016

Favorite Character Tropes in Books!

Today I will be talking about my top two favorite character tropes, which was once a topic in the Goodreads group Top 5 Wednesday, but I never got the chance to write the post at that time. I enjoy reading character tropes so much when they are written well, so I’m excited to share my favorites. A character trope is an element in a story that relates to the characters and is used often in various books. It can sometimes feel redundant or overused, but a good author can add twists and turns to a plot that seems common! For further clarification, I’m just going to get started with my first example.
I love a sci-fi/dystopian novel where one girl stands and fights against a corrupt government. There’s a lot of potential for different authors to create a unique political system through world-building. Usually it involves massive amounts of action and clever thinking from the main character, which is so fun to read about. The heroine often has to deal with putting the greater good’s interests in front of her own, and the struggle to find the balance between the two creates intriguing conflict. Some books I’ve enjoyed reading that include this idea are Divergent, Half-Blood, Shatter Me, The Hunger Games, An Ember in the Ashes, The Book of Ivy, Snow Like Ashes, and The Winner’s Curse.
My second favorite character trope is when two people who dislike each other in the beginning of the book (because of misunderstandings and misinterpretations) eventually fall in love. This is partially Pride and Prejudice inspired, though usually books I like that contain this idea are not focused solely on the romance (there’s typically a larger storyline.) I like reading how two seemingly different characters find understanding in their similarities; character development is just wonderful. If this interests you, you might appreciate books like Shatter Me, These Broken Stars, The Wrath and the Dawn, The Book of Ivy, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and Pushing the Limits.
These are the main character tropes that I find thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining in novels. The books mentioned above are some of my favorites (marked with a *), so I have linked the reviews I’ve written (on my blog & Goodreads). Just click the following book titles (in alphabetical order):

No comments:

Post a Comment